What happens if items I borrow are overdue?
- Ajax Public Library went overdue fine free in November 2020! Learn more about our decision to go fine-free.
- Overdue items can be renewed online, via our mobile app, or by calling the Library. Items can be renewed up to five (5) times, provided no other Library customers have the item(s) on hold.
- Items more than 21 days overdue are considered lost; replacement costs for lost items are applied to Library accounts.
How do I know if items I have borrowed are overdue?
- Item due dates are available on your checkout receipt, or you can log in to your Library account online to see due dates.
- The Library can provide a courtesy notice via email or text two (2) days before items are overdue. Contact us to add this to your account!
- Overdue notifications are sent by phone, email, or SMS (text message).
- First notice: 10 days after the initial due date;
- Second notice: 14 days after the initial due date;
- Third notice: 21 days after the initial due date.
- Please note that notification timelines may be adjusted based on service changes as a result of COVID-19, and the provincial requirement to isolate items before check-in can be completed.
My items are showing as overdue, but I think I returned them.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, items must be isolated before check-in can be completed. Items will take approximately 72 hours to check-in.
- If items are appearing on your account that you believe you have returned, you can ask to initiate a Claims Return process. Over the next seven (7) days, staff will search each Library branch three (3) times to try and locate your item(s). We will contact you after seven (7) days; found items will be removed from your account. Items not found will deemed lost, and replacement costs may apply.
I've paid for a lost item, but have since found it. Can I get a refund?
- The Library will refund the cost of a lost item if it is returned within three (3) months of the date the item was paid for, and the item is returned in good condition.
Materials Recovery Process
- Materials Recovery is a process that uses the help of a recovery agency, Unique Management Services (UMS).
- Library accounts with a balance of $100 or more, or with items overdue by 30 days or more are referred to UMS.
- The Library does this in an effort to return long-lost items to the Library collection for other customers to borrow.
- Unique Management Services will attempt to come to a resolution with Library customers.
- A $15 non-refundable administration fee is added to all Library accounts referred to UMS.
- The timeline for contacts is:
|Days Past Initial Due Date||Steps Taken|
|30 Days||When accounts with charges of $100 or more are referred to UMS.|
|60 Days||First letter sent.|
|81 - 88 Days||Initial phone call(s) made.|
|102 Days||Second letter sent.|
|125 - 139 Days||Final phone call(s) made.|
|150 Days||Final letter sent.|
|180 Days||Credit reporting initiated.|