The Library offers multiple ways to access a variety of materials:
- Place a hold on items in our catalogue. They will be set aside for you, and you will be notified when they are ready for pick-up at your preferred Library branch.
This process is readily available for items available at the Library. Access our catalogue to search for items and place your holds!
- Request an InterLibrary Loan (ILLO). This process allows you to access items that are not available from Ajax Public Library, but are available from other libraries in Ontario. Once a request is placed and items are received from the other library, items are placed on hold for you at your preferred Ajax Public Library location, and checked out under your Ajax Public Library card. See more about InterLibrary Loan below.
- Suggest an item be purchased. You can recommend items be purchased and added to our Ajax Public Library collection.
InterLibrary Loan (ILLO)
If you are interested in an item that Ajax Public Library does not have, we can request to borrow it from another Ontario library on your behalf. InterLibrary Loans require an InterLibrary Loan account and a valid Ajax Public Library card.
What is available through InterLibrary Loan?
- Books, DVDs, audiobooks, music CDs, and microfilm formats;
- Items that are more than one year past publication or release date;
- Materials such as reference (not available for check out), video games, or digital content are not eligible for InterLibrary Loan.
- Items are only available for InterLibrary Loan at the discretion of the owning library.
How do I make an InterLibrary Loan Request?
- Request an InterLibrary Loan account if you do not already have one.
- Sign in to your InterLibrary Loan account with your provided User ID and password.
- In the Authentication Service menu, select "Ajax Public Library".
- In the Current Profile menu, choose "SOLS Toronto/Kawartha/401 Area".
- Enter keywords from the title and/or author. If there are no matches, you can continue to search other areas in the Current Profile menu.
- Select Get It! to place your request.
- Click Submit to finish processing your request.
How can I track my ILLO requests?
- View the status of your ILLO requests by selecting My Requests when logged into your InterLibrary Loan account.
- Requests will show as processed, shipped, or received.
- Requests may be cancelled if the item can be found at Ajax Public Library, or the loaning Library is unable to send the item. Please do not resubmit requests that have been cancelled. Please contact us to find alternative ways to get the material you are interested in.
How will I be notified my item is available?
- You will be notified your item is available for pick-up via your usual preferred communication method: telephone, email, or text.
- Items not picked-up within 5 days will be returned to the loaning library.
Additional InterLibrary Loan Information
- Items may take several weeks to arrive from the owning library. We cannot provide estimated arrival times. If you have a deadline for receiving the material, please indicate this under special instructions when you submit your request, although we may not be able to meet timelines under two (2) weeks.
- If you may be unavailable to pick-up your InterLibrary Loan when it arrives, please notify us so you can request an extended loan period in case the material arrives during your absence.
- Due dates are determined by the owning library.
Questions about InterLibrary Loan?
Contact us at 905-683-4000 ext. 8811, or request an account to get started!