Get your creative juices flowing! The Ajax Public Library Older Adults Advisory Committee and the Town of Ajax Recreation, Culture, and Community Development Department Older Adults Task Force are pleased to bring you the first annual 55+ Amateur Short Story Contest.
- Participants must be 55+ and a resident of Ajax
- Gift certificates will be awarded for the winning pieces of fiction as follows:
1st prize - $100
2nd prize - $50
3rd prize - $25
- Prizes will be awarded at the judges’ discretion. The decision of the judges is final.
- Failure to follow the guidelines and to provide complete, legible and accurate information on the entry form will disqualify the submission.
- Prizes will be awarded in January 2022.
- The immediate family members of the Ajax Library Board, Ajax Library staff, the Older Adults Advisory Committee, the Town of Ajax Recreation, Culture, and Community Development Department staff and the Older Adults Task Force are not eligible.
Guidelines for Authors
- The theme for this year’s contest is “A funny thing happened to me on the way to the…”
- Each participant may enter up to two fictional pieces.
- Entries must be the original work of the submitter and may not be submitted or accepted elsewhere for publication. Winners will be asked to sign a disclaimer.
- Entries must be no longer than 1000 words with a word count provided.
- Entries must be double-spaced and typed. Hand written entries will not be considered.
- Entries may be submitted either electronically or hard copy.
- If hard copy, the pages of the work must be clipped together, not stapled.
- Pages must be numbered and the title of the work must appear in the top header, left corner of every page.
- For anonymity in judging, do not identify yourself on the entry itself. Enclose a cover page with the title, your name, address, phone number, email address, and word count.
- The deadline for submissions is January 8, 2022.
- Winners will be asked to provide an electronic copy of their submission, if not already provided.
- Winning submissions may be published by the Library or Town of Ajax Recreation, Culture, and Community Development Department.
- Winners will be announced on the 55plus website and the Ajax Public Library’s website.
How to Enter
Submission deadline is January 8, 2022
Entries can be dropped off in-person, mailed, or emailed to:
Ajax Public Library
55 Harwood Avenue South
Ajax, ON L1S 2H8
Attn: Elaine Lievaart
Ajax Community Centre
75 Centennial Road
Ajax, ON L1S 4S4
Attn: Moninder Nahar