What is an InterLibrary Loan? It's borrowing a book from another library! If you are interested in an item that our Library does not own, we can try to borrow that item from another Ontario library on your behalf.
Register for an Account / Reset your password
You must register for an Interlibrary Loan Account, which requires a valid Ajax Public Library card. Complete the Interlibrary Loan Account request form and we will create your account and email you a user ID and password. Or, you can ask staff at the Main Branch Information Desk, the McLean Branch Service Desk or the Village Branch Service Desk, to set up an account for you when you are at the Library.
Place a Request
Click here to access your account and follow these steps:
- Select Sign In and enter your user ID and password.
- In the Authentication Service menu, choose “Ajax Public Library”.
- In the Current Profile menu, choose “SOLS Toronto/Kawartha/401 Area”.
- Enter keywords from the title, and/or author. If there are no matches, you can continue to search other areas in the Current Profile menu until you find what you are looking for.
- Select Get it! to place your request.
- Click Submit to finish processing your request.
What is available through Interlibrary Loan?
Books, DVDs, audiobooks, music CDs, and microfilms are available for borrowing, provided the items are not already owned by the Ajax Public Library, have not been published or released within one year of your request date, are not circulating/reference materials, video games or eBooks and downloadable material. Not all requests can be filled and are at the discretion of the lending library.
How can I monitor the progress of my requests?
You can view the status of your request by looking at My Requests. Find out if your request has been processed, shipped and received. You will see if your request has been cancelled because the item can be found at our library or the policies of the lending library prohibit loan. Please do not resubmit your request.
How will I be notified my item is available?
You will be notified by your preferred method, telephone or email, when we have received your item. Prompt pick-up ensures you will have the maximum borrowing time.
- It may take anywhere from two weeks to several months to receive your request from another library. We cannot provide an estimated arrival time. If you have a deadline for the material, please indicate this under Special Instructions when you submit your request.
- Please notify us if you get the item you have requested from somewhere else while your Interlibrary Loan request is pending.
- If you will be away or unavailable for more than two weeks, please notify us so we can request an extended loan period if the material arrives in your absence.
- Due dates are determined by the library your item comes from. It will be indicated on the Interlibrary Loan circulation slip. Please note this due date and any other special instructions printed on this slip.
Have additional questions? Please contact us at 905-683-4000, ext. 8811 or request an account.